Missing or stolen ATM cards can be quite problematic and often pose great risks, as it may lead to some fraudulent activities. Alerting your financial institution and blocking such cards would be the right thing to do. As a GT bank cardholder, you can block your card and do so within a short while.
The bank provides you with various means of performing such tasks, and at a convenient time. Thus, you can skip the long queue waiting to relay their complaints in the banking hall and get the card blocked from anywhere.
When to Block Your GTBank ATM Card
Blocking a Guarantee Trust Bank ATM; Debit or Credit Card can be for several reasons, including misplacement or loss of ATM card, theft or stealing of ATM card, and If another individual uses the ATM card for a transaction not coming from you. etc.
These events listed above may occur once or even often, and therefore there is a need to have easy access to block or hotlist your ATM when such happens.
Ways to Block Your GTBank ATM Card
There are different ways of blocking a GT Bank ATM. Most banks operate with the analog method of hotlisting, where one has to go to the nearest bank to complain and fill forms. It gives room for defrauding and other malicious acts on your account as it takes a longer time for blocking to occur.
Therefore, the Guarantee Trust Bank, which is most technologically advanced, has fast and effective solutions, especially when one cannot easily access the bank or during weekends through shortcodes, USSDs, etc.
You can block your Guarantee Trust Bank Debit or Credit Cards in the following ways;
- USSD codes
- Internet banking
- Calling Card Services
Blocking a GTBank ATM Card by SMS
To Hotlist your GT bank ATM card by SMS shortcode is quite simple.
Just send HOTLIST and ACCOUNT NUMBER (especially NUBAN(Nigerian Uniform Bank Account Number) ACCOUNT NUMBER) to 08076665555.
You must send the SMS from the phone number linked to the affected bank account, and SMS charges apply.
Your ATM and account would be blocked after sending this SMS. This would be seen by a confirming SMS from the bank.
Blocking a GTB ATM Card via USSD Code
In their recent notice to their customers, the GT Bank stated that their customers could use the popular USSD code *737# to block their accounts in compromise cases by fraudsters preventing access.
To block your account using this medium,
- Dail *737*51*74 on any mobile phone number in Nigeria, and your bank account would be locked free of charge.
- After dialing, you would need to input the phone number used in your account registration and your 737 PIN.
- After this, your account will be locked and restricted from any transactions, including debits and transfers, and your ATM card will be blocked.
- To unlock the account, call the GTB care center, GT, or visit any GT Bank near you.
Blocking a GTBank ATM Card via Online Banking
To block your GTB ATM card via online banking follows these processes.
- First, you need to have enrolled for online banking via your bank details in your bank form.
- Log on to the GT Bank online banking portal at www.gtbank.com with your correct details (Username and Password).
- Click on the Menu button and select “Cards and Cheques.”
- Click on “Cards” from the left menu panel.
- Click on “Card Hotlist”
- Enter the correct Card number.
- State the reason for card hotlisting.
- Enter answers to preset security questions.
- Click on “Continue.”
- Enter your “Token Code.”
- Click on “Continue” to complete the process.
Your ATM card will be blocked immediately.
Blocking a GTBank ATM Card by Card Calling Services
To block your ATM card using GTbank’s card calling service is very easy and straight forward. It only requires you to call the card services via their numbers depending on the lost card.
For Debit and Credit cards, call 01-4480000, 08039003900, or 0700GTConnect, and request for the deactivation of your ATM card which will be done almost.
Blocking your ATM card is quite useful as it prevents unwarranted use of your account. It is worth it y that hotlisting condemns your card and makes it useless forever, even if lost and later found.
Therefore, a new card will be made for you by the bank, and every transaction or payment planned with the old card should be reversed.
Blocking a GT Bank ATM Card has been made easier and simpler using simple online banking procedures, mobile SMS using and mobile phone number, USSD codes, and lots more. Therefore, you do not have to place yourself under duress in the event of your card loss or theft. Just follow the procedures above.